Over the years, we have focused many of our style tips on dressing different body types. As you age, working with your shape is absolutely key to looking and feeling your best in your clothes.
How do you discover your body shape? Well you need to begin by standing in front of a mirror and by being brutally honest (an uncomfortable but worthwhile exercise).
Take a look at your shoulders, chest, waistline, hips, thighs, calves and tush. Identify your areas that are frustrating to dress and notice how your body weight is distributed. Two of the most basic proportions are larger on top or larger on the bottom; most women fall into one or the other.
We want to encourage you to dress the body you have now – not the body you want to have, not the body you plan to have, and certainly not the body you had in the past—dress to feel good in your current body!
Here are some of our favourite fit tips for different body proportions:
- For petite ladies 5’4” and under, ¾ sleeve tops bring more attention to the arms, moving the eye away from the bust line.
- For ladies with a larger top, go for straight leg and boot cut styles are best. They add volume, not bulk, to the lower half of the body, creating balance.
- Light-coloured pants and skirts maximize focus on the legs while darker bottoms minimize your lower half. Generally. darker clothes camouflage and lighter colours emphasize. Keep in mind though that fit is everything!
- Play with black and white for a classic look that never goes out of style! Navy and white are another classic combo regardless of your proportions.
- Want to minimize your midsection? Structure helps! Look for sturdy fabrics or structured fits that hug the right places.
- Knits are a larger-chested woman’s best friend as they stretch without pulling buttons open.
- When wearing prints, match the size of the print to the size of your frame. For example, petite ladies look good with smaller scale prints versus taller women who can pull off big, bold prints without being overwhelmed by the print.
If you are still unsure about the best style for your shape, we are happy to help you find your proportion. Just ask next time you’re in or book a free Personal Shopping Appointment!