West Coast ladies love our denim, but remember to keep it professional at work!
Always wear a jacket with your jeans.
Make sure your jeans are the most casual part of your outfit. Your shoes, boots, coloured top and jacket should be dressier.
Skinny and straight leg jeans are trending, so are textures and printed denim.
Dark denim, black or brown can be used for a little more sophisticated look, so leave your traditional denim for home and play.
Accessories are key… add a great necklace, bracelet, blingy or statement belt, or SCARF and look more polished instantly.
KEEP YOUR JEANS LOOKING GREAT FOR LONGER To help keep your jeans from bleeding and keep the fabric color “true” for longer, launder your jeans inside out, add a cup of white household vinegar and a quarter cup of salt to the cold washing water. These natural ingredients help set the dye within the jeans’ fabric, providing some protection against bleeding.
NEVER put your jeans in the dryer! Hang them to dry. The hot heat breaks down the elastine and your jeans won’t last as long.
Find the best denim styles at KC’s!
Want natural fibers in your clothing?
What are sustainable natural fibers?
COTTON is harvested from the cotton plant and is best suited for our hot and humid climate as it breathes and keeps us cool and comfortable.
Garments made from cotton are also perfect for people who have sensitive skin as it is naturally HYPOALLERGENIC.
RAYON Many people don’t realize that Rayon is considered a natural fiber, as it is derived from naturally occurring cellulose in trees and plants.
The rayon material has natural anti-microbial properties and does not produce much odour if you sweat, making it perfect for our or any hot climate.
Spring isn’t the only season for natural fiber clothing! KC’s Boutique has made in Canada Putorti and Parkhurst cotton sweaters.
Most of our t-shirts including our ¾ or full sleeves are cotton or rayon blends.
Boiled wool is another popular request and wool capes are lightweight but still keep you warm.
Gilmour clothing from Vancouver offers many great casual styles of bamboo rayon and cotton pieces as well.
As usual, we always bring in many lines MADE in CANADA and BRITISH COLUMBIA.
Why not try a vest?! Not only are they back in fashion, but they are back with STYLE!
You can stay warm without the bulk or restriction of a coat and switch up your style depending on your mood with the simple addition of a vest. Plus many styles this year do double-duty since they are reversible!
Casual Quilted Vests look sharp without adding pounds. They are the perfect way to stay warm as the weather cools down and the seasons change.
Pick a Knit Vest, Vest Jacket or Puffer Vest and pair with your favourite blue jeans to meet your outdoor clothing needs.
Looking for a bit more luxury? Try a warm Faux-Fur Vest! Rock a casual and fun look with a Denim or Faux-Leather Moto Vest!
Different women have different needs when it comes to finding the right fit, so we offer styles that will fit a petite frame – smaller armholes and a bit shorter length for those ladies 5’4″ and under. Regular fit will give you that extra length around the seat.
In the many years that KC’s Boutique has been open, we’ve learned a formula that works well with any casual wardrobe.
When you purchase a new pair of bottoms, invest in or make sure you have 5 tops that match. By following this tip, you will be sure to always have an outfit that comes together in a snap!
This formula works especially well when you are purchasing a bottom in a unique fashion colour because you will always be able to pull together an outfit without worrying about finding matching tops at a later date.
This basic wardrobe principle keeps the stress out of dressing!
Stay stylish even in the hot summer sun with these tips.
- Choose natural fibres that are breathable like cotton, bamboo, rayon and modal.
- Wear a stylish pair of strappy sandals or peep toe shoes.
- Pull long hair up into a stylish up-do.
- If you need to wear a hat, look for one made of straw.
- Long flowing and loose-fitting garments actually keep you cooler than shorts. Just look at the Saudis! With these types of garments, there is more air circulation than if the clothes are clinging to your body.
- Wear light colours instead of dark colours; the exception is light blue since light blue shows more sweat than any other colour.
- Avoid sugary drinks and caffeine as they dehydrate you.
- If traveling, shopping or dining where there is air conditioning, be sure to bring a 3/4 sleeve cardigan with you.
- Avoid tucking in your tops as it holds in the heat.
- Don’t wear pantyhose unless your work demands it.
- Maxi dresses are so comfortable this time of year. They are suitable for both casual or formal events and are so helpful to keep you cool. Let the men wear the pants!
We’ve been telling you for years that horizontal stripes DO NOT make you look bigger and now there is finally proof that wearing horizontal stripes can actually make you look thinner!
“Vertical stripes were always thought to make the wearer look taller and thinner. Now, a study by York University has dismissed all this as an old wives’ tale. Researchers showed volunteers drawings of same-sized women in both horizontal and vertical-striped dresses and asked who looked larger. In each case, the woman wearing stripes across the body was judged to be smaller.”
By Style Expert Kathryn Brown
To balance your head and upper body through necklines, collars, and jewelry, first find your balance points.
1. To find your first balance point, use a piece of string to cover the length of your face from your hairline to your chin. If you wear bangs, start at the bottom of your bangs. Next, hold your string where it hits your chin, let the string fall from the bottom of your chin down your chest. Where it ends is your first balance point. This helps you find the best neckline or jewellery lengths to compliment your shape.
2. Find your second balance by starting with the widest part of your face. Next, imagine tracing a “shape” that begins from one side of the widest part of your face, around your jawline and chin, then back up to the other side of the widest part. Repeat the shape you have just traced in your mind at your shoulder line around your neck.The bottom point of your shape indicates your second balance point. Necklines that follow this shape will suit you best and be the most flattering.
Need a hand finding the most flattering necklines for you? Come talk to the knowledgeable staff at KC’s Boutique.
Dress the body you have now, not the one you were or that you want to be!
We can put body shapes into 5 main categories:
- Inverted Triangle, and
Identify your body type and remember to balance your top and bottom… clothing can camouflage problems and create balance.
If you want to look taller, the first thing you can do is shorten your sleeve length.
If you have very short legs, try wearing an elbow length sleeve. The rest of us should try the 3/4 sleeve. This works almost every time.
To balance your head and upper body try wearing the correct neckline or collar.
If you are on the thinner side or have a small chest, wear a higher neckline to give the illusion you have more real estate on the upper floor.
High necklines will always add bulk to the upper body, so if you are top heavy, try a lower neckline below the “dent” in the collarbone.
If you have longer legs you can create a better proportion by wearing medium or long length jackets, long sleeves and dropping the waistline.
Colour reflects a change in fashion and most women can wear most colours on the colour wheel. Remember wearing the fashions of the 80s? Then there is a good chance you will need stronger colours as a mature woman. Try adding turquoise, red, coral, yellow and blue to your wardrobe.
We have trained staff who can help you recognize and dress these shapes and we look forward to helping you look your best.
Follow these tips to get the best pants that fit your body shape.
If you are PETITE (5’4″ or under), try a trimmed crop pant, or a pant with a vertical crease down the front and back which makes legs appear longer. Compression fabrics tend to slim the leg and give you some height as well.
For our ladies with FULL HIPS and thighs, we suggest a pant where the cut falls down from the widest part of the thigh for a flattering fit. A slight bootcut or straight leg (not skinny) will help your curves look less wide.
If you have a TUMMY, try a straight leg pant and find one that sits neatly at your waist. A pull on pant with tummy control is helpful too. Avoid pleats or baggy cuts which bring attention to your midriff.
TALL women can carry off a fabulous flare pant. Palazzo pants work well with height too.
Lastly, if your waist is much smaller than your hips and your backside appears bigger than the rest of your frame, fit your bum and take in the waist. Save waist alterations by trying the Flatter Me Belt!
Please come into the store and let us help find the most flattering and comfortable pants for you.